Pet Peeve Words/Phrases
What words or phrases that people use are pet peeves to you? Either they use them incorrectly (irregardless) or use them too much (I know, right?), or mispronounce them.
Our engineer, Matt, has a few. Both of his parents were educators and he, himself, has worked in the teaching profession. The ones he has mentioned to me include (with phonetic mispronunciation):
- mis CHEE vee us (mischievous)
- REH goo lur (regular)
- sim U lar (similar)
- NU clure (nuclear)
- ax (ask)
- EX spesh ly (especially)
- Is that the hill you want to die on (a response to someone making a complaint)
- Klu Klux Klan (It's actually Ku Klux Klan)
- LIE berry (library)
- MY nayz or MANN ayz (mayonnaise)
- PROWL ly (probably)
- literally (used too much, and usually improperly)
- and, like (gag me with a spoon, right?)
- at the end of the day
- the bottom line is
- when all is said and done
- with all due respect
- the truth of the matter is
Don't you wish that Grammarly existed for real conversations?
I know you can think of many more, right?