Iconic Retail Stores That Aren’t Here Anymore
Sometimes I just want to go back in time and sit at the Woolworth's lunch counter for a grilled cheese and fountain drink. But those days are long gone. Nostalgia aside, time has not been kind to some of our most beloved retail locations. Good Housekeeping has reminded me of some of my favorite stores that are no longer around, and some of them are below. A lot of these have a place in Acadiana history, which makes it hurt just a little bit more. If you really want a walk down memory lane, be sure to check out the whole list.
- FW Woolworth & Co. Closed for good in 1997
- Mervyn's. Closed 2008
- A&P. Last store closed in 2016
- Montgomery Ward. Filed for bankruptcy in 1997, last store closed in 2001.
- S.S. Kresge Company. Later known as Kmart, all Kresge's closed in 1987.
- Fotomat. Last seen in the late 90's.
- Service Merchandise. Filed for bankruptcy in 1999. Last store closed in 2002.
- RadioShack. Filed for bankruptcy in 2015 and 2017.
- Blockbuster. Closed in 2013.
- Circuit City. After 54 years, closed in 2008
- Gadzooks. Closed in 2004, and sold to Forever 21 in 2005.
- Linens 'n Thing. Closed 2008
- Sharper Image. Closed 2008, but still operates a website
- The Limited. Closed in 2017, but Belk carries their brand exclusively
- Tower Records. Closed in 2006