Cardinals Owe Money & Picks To Astros For Hacking Incident
The St. Louis Cardinals have been ordered by Major League Baseball to give their top two picks in the 2017 draft, as well as $2 million, to the Houston Astros.
The announcement came Monday, after MLB completed its investigation regarding the breach of the Astros' baseball operations database by a former Cardinals' employee, scouting director Chris Correa, who was sentenced to 46 months in prison.
The draft picks are the Cardinals' their two highest in this year’s draft: a second round pick, which is the 56th overall and a Compensation Round B pick, which is the 75th overall pick.
On Jan. 8, 2016, Correa, who will never be able to hold another job in Major League Baseball, pleaded guilty in federal court to five counts of unauthorized access of a protected computer for intruding into the Astros' email system and analytical scouting database in 2013 and 2014, following an FBI investigation. The Cardinals fired Correa in 2015 after their own internal investigation.
A Houston judge last week unsealed documents from Correa's case that show that Correa intruded the Astros' database 48 times over a 2½-year period starting in January 2012.
The Cardinals have maintained that Correa was acting alone, and MLB said on Monday that they found no evidence that any other Cardinal employees knew of Correa's actions.
The Astros also issued a statement, saying they support the ruling and penalties.
"This unprecedented award by the Commissioner's Office sends a clear message of the severity of these actions," the statement said. "Our staff has invested a great deal of time in support of the government, legal and league investigations and are pleased to have closure on this issue."