Read the 10 Strangest Job Interview Questions Ever
During an interview, job candidates can generally expect a range of standard questions. But what if a hiring manager asked something off-the-wall like “How can I get to some gold in the middle of the Amazon in the cheapest way possible?” How would you react and, more importantly, what answer would you give?
According to Rusty Rueff of the job site Glassdoor.com, which compiled a list of the top 10 strangest interview questions, the faltering economy and rising unemployment means that power has shifted from employee to employer, and some interviewers are asking oddball questions to see how candidates will react. “There can be a little hazing that goes on. That’s not fair, but it is what it is,” said Rueff.
Instead of getting flustered by a curveball question, Rueff suggests that job seekers “put their best foot forward, roll with the punches and don’t get angry.” And try talking through bizarre questions so employers can witness your thought process first-hand.
Or, says Mark Jeffries, who wrote the communication and networking guide ‘What’s Up With Your Handshake?,’ you could simply dismiss such companies as too quirky to work for.
“If you’re asked how to get to a pot of gold in the middle of a jungle it’s time to say bye-bye,” he said. Moreover, Jeffries said that employers are interviewing so many candidates these days that they’ve, “…gone insane. Do you really want to work with a company that approaches employment like that?”
Check out other strange interview questions from Glassdoor’s list below.
- “Tell me the restaurant where you dined last night?”
- “Do you feel you had a normal childhood?”
- “If you can grow anything on a tree, what would it be?”
- “If you were in the movie ‘The Wizard of Oz,’ which character do you most relate with and why?”
- “Would you rather be ranked No. 1 in the office and hated by everyone or No. 15 in the office but well-liked?”
- “If you were stranded on a deserted island, what three things would you want to have with you?”
- “Jeff Bezos walks into your office and says you can have a million dollars to launch your best entrepreneurial idea. What is it?”
- “My clock is nine minutes slow every hour. At noon, it tells the correct time. After how many hours will it again tell the correct time?”
- “If you had five red balls that contained four red balls and those red balls contained the original five red balls, then how many sets of sets of balls would it take to have a double set of red balls of varying sizes inside each next largest red ball?”