Rating the Wins, Losses in the Sun Belt, Week One
The Sun Belt Conference began the season with a 4-8 record, with only one of the wins coming against an FBS opponent. One of the losses came to an FCS opponent.
While some may be discouraged despite a win or encouraged by a loss, the reality is, you're either 1-0 or 0-1. You'd rather be 1-0.
So, here's rating the 12 Sun Belt games. I separated them according to wins and losses because winning is better.
1. Coastal Carolina 38, UMASS 28---The Chants make their FBS debut with a win. Everyone in Conway is happy.
2. Idaho 28, Sacramento State 6--The Vandals get a solid running game and a stout defense. That's winning football.
3. Texas State 20, Houston Baptist 11--Wins are going to be few and far between for Texas State. HBU isn't very good. But it's a win.
4. Louisiana 51, Southeastern Louisiana 48--This was the best opponent of any of the victories (yes, that includes UMASS). But that defense better get better in a hurry. (Coverage teams, too).
1. Nebraska 43, Arkansas State 36--The new offensive line was fine. The highly touted "D" not so much. But they had a chance on the final play of the game. Expectations just got higher in Jonesboro.
2. Boise State 24, Troy 13---Boise State is very good. This was a solid performance on the road against a quality team. But it wasn't good enough.
3. Arizona State 37, New Mexico State 31--NMSU got a couple of fourth quarter scores to scare the Sun Devils. The Aggies are going to score points this year.
4. Memphis 37, ULM 29--Also a couple of late scores in this one for the Warhawks, whose quarterback situation cleared up considerably.
5. (15) Georgia 31, Appalachian State 10--The Mountaineers have an offense good enough for the Sun Belt. Their defense is solid.
6. Ole Miss 47, South Alabama 27---No Mississippi magic this time for the Jags. Is Ole Miss better than the team that was picked last in the SEC West? South hopes so.
7. (12) Auburn 41, Georgia Southern 7--The fans screamed for the return of the triple option. They had 78 total yards, eight passing. Ooofff.
8. Tennessee State 17, Georgia State 10--The good news is they had a sellout (paid) crowd of 22,000. The bad news is they probably won't be back for awhile.