Five Keys to Beating Tulane – From the Bird’s Nest
Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns (3-1) are hoping for a Happy Homecoming this weekend when they play host to the Tulane Green Wave at Cajun Field.
Kickoff is scheduled for 4pm Saturday. The broadcast on ESPN1420 begins at 2:00 Saturday afternoon.
The Cajuns are a four touchdown favorite in the game. If they're going to get win number four, here's how to get it done.
1. FOCUS--The Cajuns only need look as far as Georgia Tech to see what happens when you're not prepared to play. The point spread, the homecoming festivities and the in-state matchup all need to be pushed aside. The Cajuns need to focus on the things that got them to 3-1 to begin with.
2. BRIGHT LIGHTS ON BROADWAY--This is not Terrance Broadway's first collegiate start, but it's his first as a Cajun. And, regardless of what anyone thinks, starting and relieving are two different animals. It certainly would behoove the Cajuns if Broadway quickly shook off the butterflies and played like it's been his job all along.
3. PRESSURE THE QUARTERBACK--The Cajuns could sit back and rush three.....or they could turn em loose early. I like the latter. Tulane has had a problem protecting the quarterback all season, which has gotten a trio of signal callers banged up. The Cajuns need to hit the quarterback early and often.
4. END IT EARLY--When you're a big favorite, the longer you let the other team hang around, the more dangerous they become and the more vulnerable you become. The Cajuns need to play well early and jump out to a big lead. They can break Tulane's will to compete if they dominate from the opening kickoff.
5. VALUE POSSESSION--The only way the Cajuns lose this game is if they help the Green Wave win it. Take care of the football and you should be fine.